WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - State inspectors found more than 100 rodent droppings inside and underneath all of the cabinets at Rex's Coffee and Restaurant (209 SE 2 Ave) in Delray Beach.
And while there were more than 100, the place remained open, despite getting a warning to deal with their issue.
The more common problem that inspectors found this week involved the temperature of food.
Jorge Ortiz closely watches what's going on where he eats.
"I usually look for stuff like that -- cleanliness, service, and hospitality," said Ortiz.
The Consumer Watchdog ran into him as he was leaving Denny's at 2705 Okeechobee Boulevard in West Palm Beach.
"The service was pretty good. We were in there for breakfast," said Ortiz.
That's why he was surprised when he heard what state inspectors found in the kitchen.
They found strawberries, cucumbers and onions with mold. The restaurant also had to throw away rice, potatoes and hash browns because they weren't stored at the right temperature.
"It's very common for food to be out of temperature frequently unfortunately," said Fred Stein.
Stein is a food safety expert with Safe Food Connection.
"People get sick when food is not held properly," said Stein.
This week, 9 area restaurants had to throw food away because it could have put your health at risk.
"A lot of people get sick from eating food in restaurants and they don't realize it," said Stein.
Denny's didn't return our calls about their latest inspection report.
According to the state inspection report, numerous restaurants in the area had stop sales on food due to temperature issues. Those restaurants include:
Country Boy Pizza & Deli, 32601 Hwy 441 in Okeechobee had a stop sale on food that was out of temperature. The manager, Paul, said he thinks his cooler had a leak and the problem is fixed.
Manzo's Italian Deli, 2260 Palm Beach Lakes Blvd #200 in West Palm Beach had a stop sale on eggs. The owner, Mr. Manzo, said the inspector came in after they had served 300 lunches that day. They came back the next day and everything was fixed.
Bagel Restaurant & More, 5770 Okeechobee Blvd in West Palm Beach had a stop sale on a tub of butter.
Dada, 52 N. Swinton Ave in Delray Beach had a stop sale on potentially hazardous food and food was also stored in ice used for drinks. The owner tells us they always do their best to keep proper temperature on their food. He tells us he had to throw away sour cream and had a refrigerator tech out to make sure everything is working properly. No problems were found. He said a bottle of wine was stored in the ice, and it was a mistake that was corrected on site.
Bogart's Bar & Grille, 3200 Airport Rd in Boca Raton had a stop sale on potentially hazardous food. Live flies and roaches were also found during the inspection.
Tacos Mexico Restaurant, 850 S. 21 St. #F in Fort Pierce had a stop sale because they used Tilapia for ceviche and had no proof of parasite destruction.
Grand Lake Chinese Restaurant, 7750 Okeechobee Blvd in West Palm Beach had a stop sale on shark fin fish because they could not provide documentation for the source of fish. A manager at the restaurant told us they bought the shark fin at a Chinese store in New York City and threw away the receipt.
Alabama Joe's, 8794 Boynton Beach Blvd Suite 101 in Boynton Beach had a stop sale on food that was out of temperature, according to the state report.
RODENTS AND ROACHES
El Sabor Latino Restaurant, 2202 Jog Rd in Green Acres had 20 dry rodent droppings. Edgar, the manager, said there was a hole by the water heater and they put traps in place. He said the problem is fixed.
Sea Jasmine Thai Cuisine, 971 Sebastian Blvd Unit 5 in Sebastian had roach activity present as evidenced by 5 live roaches and roach excrement and/or droppings. The owner said he did deep cleaning and the problem has been taken care of.
Chez Ti Doc, 229 SE 2 Ave in Delray Beach had rodent activity present as evidenced by 20 dry rodent droppings.
Cinemark Palace 20, 3200 Airport Rd in Boca Raton had roach activity present as evidenced by 5 live roaches and 4 dead roaches. The manger said they can't comment and that it is a corporate issue.