Governor Rick Scott still fighting for the Personal Injury Protection law after a judge banned it

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP)-- Gov. Rick Scott said he will "continue to fight" for the state's new Personal Injury Protection law in light of a judge's temporarily banning its enforcement.

Scott released a statement late Wednesday. He says changes to PIP have resulted in more than 70 percent of insurance rates approved by the Office of Insurance Regulation either decreasing or holding steady.

Changing the law has lowered insurance costs and he will "continue to fight special interest groups to keep them in place."

Tallahassee-based Circuit Judge Terry Lewis ordered a temporary ban this week. Lewis found that the changed law violates the Florida Constitution.

A group of acupuncturists and massage therapists and chiropractors had sued the state. The law was changed last year to include a prohibition on PIP payments to those providers.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments