Chill out and test your knowledge of freezing foods, courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
1. Which food can stay in the freezer the longest without losing flavor and nutritional value?
b) Uncooked chicken
c) Frozen dinner
2. What is the minimum temperature a freezer needs to be set at to ensure food safety?
a) Minus 20 degrees
b) Minus 10 degrees
c) Zero degrees
NEXT PAGE: What causes freezer burn on stored foods?
3. What causes freezer burn on stored foods?
a) The use of tinfoil rather than plastic wrap for storage
b) Air coming in contact with the food's surface
c) Placing the food in the freezer while it is still heated
4. Which food is said by the USDA to "not freeze well?"
c) Mashed potatoes
NEXT PAGE: Which food is deemed to be impossible to freeze?
5. Which food is deemed to be impossible to freeze?
a) Eggs in the shell
c) Whipped cream
NEXT PAGE: The answers!
ANSWERS: 1: b (chicken 12 months; frozen dinner 3-4 months; soup 2-3 months); 2: c; 3: b; 4: b; 5: a.