The number of golfers in the U.S. is dropping and experts say it is for two reasons. The first is the cost to play and the speed of playing one round.
The Golf Channel created the “relaxed rules” series. It is seven rules used in games among friends to make the game easier, faster and more fun.
1. Maximum Score -- Only play the hole until you get a double par. For example, a 6 on a par 3 & an 8 on a par 4.
2. Unfortunate Lies – If your ball ends up in a divot or behind a tree root move your ball to a better lie nearby.
3. Conceded Putts – If you hit a ball close enough to the hole where on most tries you will make it go ahead and pick up the ball and record it as a stroke.
4. Use Common Sense – When in doubt, use common sense and fairness
5. Search Time – Don’t spend too much time searching for a lost ball. If after 2 minutes drop a ball near where the original was lost and play on.
6. Penalties – If you hit a ball out of bounds, water and lateral hazards, lost ball and unplayable lie, drop a ball nearby and play on and count the penalty as only one stroke
7. Equipment – There are no restrictions on how many clubs you can have in your bag.
The most important thing is just to have fun while playing golf.