Whether staying at home or going to a shelter during a hurricane, be sure to think about your medication and personal living needs.
- Have a 5 to 7 day supply of your prescription medications.
- Bring a first aid kit to treat minor injuries at home.
- Be mindful of any special medications for your children and make sure to have a supply of whatever is needed.
- In terms of personal hygiene, make sure you have toothbrushes, toothpaste, enough toilet tissue, and other basic supplies.
- If necessary, make sure you have your reading glasses or other personal eyewear.
- Since standing water can increase the number of insects around your home, make sure to have bug spray handy.
- If at a shelter, bringing your medicine is vital. There will be no medical professionals at shelters except for a nurse to take care of minor issues.
- Be prepared.