PALM BAY, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida man suffered second-degree burns over roughly half his body after accidentally setting himself on fire while lighting a Halloween display.
Authorities say Ron Nielson of Palm Bay was using gasoline, a wooden cross and candles.
Palm Bay Fire Rescue spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez tells Florida Today it's not clear whether Nielson was trying to light the cross or the candles Tuesday night. She says Nielson's clothes caught on fire.
Nielson was airlifted to an Orlando hospital. His condition early Thursday isn't known.
One of his neighbors said Nielson had put up ghosts, a scarecrow and other Halloween decorations earlier in the day. Brenda Lister says she heard an explosion and ran outside to find Nielson lying in a ditch with burns over much of his body.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
There may be a new approach to saving a life by eliminating the 'mouth-to-mouth' portion of CPR. A study by the American Heart Association says the change may make cardiopulmonary recuscitation more effective during cardiac arrest.