ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities say a man celebrating his 76th birthday alone was rescued from his apartment after a pan of macaroni and cheese caught fire on his stove.
The Tampa Bay Times ( http://bit.ly/XweDpN ) reports Oscar Jenkins fell asleep on his recliner at the Arlington Arbor Affordable Senior Apartments in St. Petersburg Monday night.
Jerome Williams was visiting his mother in the apartment next door when he smelled smoke and heard an alarm.
Williams says he found Jenkins' apartment filled with smoke and drenched with water from the sprinkler system.
He says his Army training kicked in as he saw smoke billowing from the stove and Jenkins asleep on the chair.
Williams took Jenkins next door as rescue crews arrived.
Fire officials say no one was injured and no other units were damaged.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
Warmer weather was a welcome change in Texas on Sunday, but it came at a cost at a couple of apartment buildings.