A man in the Florida Panhandle community of Niceville lost all of his teeth, part of his tongue and suffered facial cuts when the electronic cigarette he was smoking exploded, WEAR-Ch. 3 television reported.
Photographer, Vietnam veteran and father of three Tom Holloway was being treated at a burn center, the station reported.
A neighbor told WEAR that Holloway had quit smoking traditional cigarettes because of his health and had taken up so-called electronic cigarettes about two years ago.
Fire officials theorize that the cigarette's battery somehow ignited and it was essentially as if Holloway was "holding a bottle rocket in his mouth," the station reported.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
Claire Davis, the 17-year-old high school senior shot Dec.13 by a classmate at their Colorado school, died Saturday at the hospital where she was being treated.