NEW YORK (AP) — Jerry Sandusky said in an interview with NBC that he is innocent of the child sex abuse charges that have rocked Penn State and cost Joe Paterno his job, though the former defensive coordinator admitted he "horsed around" and touched kids.
In a telephone interview, scheduled to be aired Monday night on NBC News' "Rock Center," Sandusky responded, "No," when Bob Costas asked if he was a pedophile.
"I am innocent of those charges," the 67-year-old Sandusky said. "... I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact."
Sandusky, once considered Paterno's heir apparent, is charged with sexually abusing eight boys over a 15-year span, with several of the alleged assaults occurring on Penn State property. Athletic director Tim Curley and Penn State vice president Gary Schultz are charged with perjury, and Paterno and president Graham Spanier were fired for not doing enough after Sandusky was accused of assaulting a young boy in the showers of the campus football complex in 2002.
The interview with Costas was Sandusky's first public comment on the charges. He had previously maintained his innocence through his attorney.
The Associated Press has made several efforts to reach Sandusky by phone and through his attorney, but messages haven't been returned.
A spokesman for Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly declined to comment on the interview, citing the active investigation.
Asked if there was anything he did do wrong, Sandusky said, "I shouldn't have showered with those kids."
When Sandusky retired in 1999, at just 55, he cited his desire to devote more time to The Second Mile, a charity he founded in 1977 to help at-risk kids. According to a grand jury report, however, Sandusky was a sexual predator who used The Second Mile and his Penn State connections to prey on young boys.
Though he was not particularly close with Paterno, he remained a familiar sight around the Penn State football complex. He was given an office in the East Area Locker building, across the street from the football building, as part of his retirement package, and would bring Second Mile kids around the football facilities.
Wide receivers coach Mike McQueary, then a graduate assistant, told the grand jury he saw Sandusky sodomizing a boy about 10 in a shower at the Nittany Lions' practice center in March 2002. McQueary did not go to police but instead told Paterno, Curley and Schultz, although it is not clear how detailed his description was.
Schultz, in turn, notified Spanier.
Paterno is not the target of any legal investigation, but he has conceded he should have done more. He and Spanier were fired because trustees felt they had not done enough after the 2002 incident.
The interview came on a day when the president of The Second Mile resigned. Jack Raykovitz, a practicing psychologist who had led the group for 28 years, said he hoped his departure would help restore faith in the group's mission. The Second Mile also announced it had hired Philadelphia's longtime district attorney as its new general counsel.
Separately, the Big Ten has decided to take Paterno's name off its championship trophy. League commissioner Jim Delany said that it is "inappropriate" to keep Paterno's name on the trophy that will be awarded Dec. 3 to the winner of the conference's first title game.
The trophy had been named the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy. Paterno had more wins (409) than any major college coach while football pioneer Amos Alonzo Stagg won 319 games in 57 years at the University of Chicago.
The trophy will now be called the Stagg Championship Trophy.
Copyright Associated Press
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
On a postcard-perfect Friday, Gov. Rick Scott joined other officials for a boat tour of a $220 million dredging operation that will enable Miami's cargo port to accommodate much bigger ships that soon will pass through a widened Panama Canal.