FORT PIERCE - A couple and their two young children are homeless Monday night after the mother forgot a pot on the stove and it caught on fire.
The fire destroyed the family’s duplex in the 3200 block of Mura Drive in Fort Pierce, said Capt. Jack Edmonson, spokesman for St. Lucie County Fire Rescue.
The mother was preparing dinner for the family when she got distracted caring for the children ages 4 and 7 and forgot she had a pot on the stove, Edmonson said.
Their unit was destroyed by the fire and the adjacent unit sustained smoke damage, he said.
The family escaped the flames unscathed and are being assisted by the Red Cross.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest Local News Stories