DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - The Delray Beach July Fourth fireworks display will go on as planned after organizers Tuesday were able to secure a barge and enough donations to pay for it.
The display was in danger of being canceled if organizers didn't come up with the money to rent the barge from which the fireworks will be launched, said Sarah Martin, executive director of the Delray Beach Marketing Cooperative, which organizes the event.
Martin said the organization was going to have to pay about $50,000 to rent a barge because of a shortage of barges, many of which were used in the Gulf of Mexico after last year's oil spill. But McCulley Marine Services, which the cooperative already had hired, found a barge at the last minute for about $25,000.
Chamber of Commerce members donated $2,500 and the city Community Redevelopment Agency pitched in about $10,000.
The fireworks display will be visible from the municipal beach beginning at 9 p.m.
Copyright © 2011, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest Local News Stories