PALM BEACH COUNTY - Palm Beach County recognized first responders Thursday for their actions in avoiding a potential disaster last month.
Palm Beach Fire Rescue, the sheriff's office and building department were all honored for ensuring public safety during a dangerous gas leak that occurred on June 5 in suburban Boca Raton.
The incident started as a small fire inside Sweet Tomatoes restaurant, but progressed quickly. It prompted evacuations and the need to dispose of a large 20-year-old propane tank. Dozens of deputies, fire rescue staff and volunteers were on hand to help during the gas leak during the more than 30 hours it took to safely remove the tank.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest Local News Stories