STUART — An employee of Premier Party Rentals was flown to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute in Fort Pierce Monday after being injured in a “flash fire,” according to a Martin County Fire Rescue spokesman.
Fire rescue officials were called shortly before 9 a.m. to the business on Southeast Commerce Avenue in Stuart for an explosion.
Crews determined there was no explosion, though there was a “flash fire,” or a fire in which vapors ignite, said Daniel Wouters, fire rescue division chief and public information officer.
Wouters said an employee was trying to light a box on fire. He also said some type of accelerant or flammable liquid appeared to be involved.
“There’s no specific intent (to harm someone or something) that we see at this time,” Wouters said.
Still, he said the state fire marshal was called to investigate the incident.
Wouters said the man, described as a young adult, was flown in serious condition to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute in Fort Pierce.
No other information was immediately available.
Martin County Fire Rescue was called to the 4000 block of Southeast Commerce Avenue just before 9 a.m. to a report of an explosion.