STUART, Fla. — A 13-month-old girl, who was flown Friday morning to a hospital in Miami after sustaining burns from spilled coffee and tea, has been discharged.
The incident happened at a coffee shop at Cove Road and U.S. 1, a Martin County Fire Rescue spokesman said.
Fire rescue crews were dispatched at 8:22 a.m. to Starbucks in the 5900 block of Southeast Federal Highway, where the child sustained burns to the head and upper torso, said Doug Killane, fire rescue public information officer.
Witnesses told the Martin County Sheriff's Office that the youngster was hurt when an adult was trying to put the child into a portable high chair that was attached to a table and a large hot coffee, and a large hot tea on the table spilled.
The child was flown to a burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Friday afternoon Jennifer Piedra at Jackson Memorial Hospital said the child had been released.
Detectives from the Martin County Sheriff's Office also responded to the call and concluded that this was an accidental injury and that there was no criminal intent.
The wptv.com webteam contributed to this report
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest Local News Stories