HOBE SOUND, Fla. -- A man was injured and two pets were killed after a house fire in Hobe Sound late Wednesday.
After watching the Fourth of July fireworks, the man and his family returned to their home on Diane Street to flames shooting from a bedroom, according to Martin County Fire Rescue.
The man tried to put out the fire with a hose but fell and hit his head, officials say.
"The fire was already in the bedrooms. They opened the door and they were able to get it extinguished with a fire hose. A deputy arrived and pulled the gentleman out of the house," explained Martin County Fire Rescue Chief Wade Mallard.
The man suffered a traumatic head injury and smoke inhalation. A deputy pulled him from the fire and he was sent by Life Star helicopter to the hospital.
The fire claimed the lives of a dog and a pet bird.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest Local News Stories