WELLINGTON, Fla. - The investigation continues into how a fire started that killed several horses at Gulf Stream Polo Club. The Palm Beach County Fire Department says the preliminary results show there was an electrical overload in a tack room.
Meanwhile, two surviving horses from the blaze are being treated at Equine Medical Centers in Wellington.
Sprinklers are not required in structures like the stable that burned. If grooms quarters or residential space were connected to the stable space, the rules would change depending on the intended use. Barns are considered "storage" by fire code.
Veterinarians at the Palm Beach Equine Medical Centers say the horses they are treating were doing better Monday. They are expected to play polo in six weeks.
"What we've seen, that their lung sounds are perfectly normal now. And they've really brightened up and being responsive and being horses now. So that's the fun part," explained Dr. Scott Swerdlin.
The owners have been in contact with the clinic regularly.
"I think that they are doing well, but I think that they are really sad that it occurred. Horses are their lives. So it took a part of their lives too. So I think the owners are feeling the pain a lot more than these guys are," Swerdlin said, gesturing at the horses.
There is some discussion of the polo community gathering to assist the owners of the horses that passed away.
Correction: Because of incorrect information provided to WPTV, a previous version of this story said that the barns had been inspected on Jan. 15, 2013. The barns were never inspected.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest Local News Stories