WPTV has live video streams from the 9/11 memorial ceremonies in New York City, the Pentagon and the White House. For the 12th consecutive September 11, many Americans will fall silent at 8:46 a.m. Wednesday.
Photographer: AP GraphicsBank
Copyright Associated Press
PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - There are seven area events this weekend where you can remember and pay tribute to those we lost 10 years ago.
1) Palm Beach County Schools tree planting ceremony, 9:30 a.m. Friday, at Palm Beach County Schools headquarters, 3300 Forest Hills Blvd., West Palm Beach. Four trees will be planted, one for each of the attack sites. The Atlantic High Color Guard will present the colors; the Wellington High band will perform; Jon Dipert, Pipe Captain of the Palm Beach Pipes, also will perform. Superintendent Bill Malone and School Board Chairman Frank Barbieri will speak, as will employees with Sept. 11 experiences. Info: 561-434-8000.
2) Freedom Walk, 7:30 a.m. Sunday, West Palm Beach City Commons, 104 S. Clematis St., West Palm Beach. Reflect on lives lost, renew your commitment to freedom and honor and support active duty military, veterans and first responders. Register at 6 a.m. $30 individual, $60 family, $10 active duty military. Hosted by Operation Homefront Florida. Info: 561-846-0843; operationhomefront.net/florida.
3) The Parade of Heroes, 8:30 a.m. Sunday , followed by a 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony at 9 a.m. at the Wellington Amphitheater, 12100 Forest Hill Blvd., Wellington. Info: 561-791-4000.
4) A Patriot Memorial Dedication Ceremony, 10:30 a.m. Sunday, at Wellington’s Patriot Memorial, 2198 Forest Hill Blvd., Wellington. A 22-foot steel column from the World Trade Center has been incorporated into the structure. Free shuttle service from Mall at Wellington Green. Info: 561-791-4000.
5) 9/11 Remembrance, 1 p.m. Sunday, Veterans Park Amphitheater, 1036 Royal Palm Beach Blvd., Royal Palm Beach. A flag-raising and wreath laying at First Responders Memorial Site followed by a motivational presentation; free refreshments and music. 561-790-5149.
6) 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony, 8 a.m. Sunday, Tequesta Public Safety Building, 345 Tequesta Drive. Four honor guards, a rifle team, a white dove release, a keynote address by Maj. Gen. Wayne Jackson, and fire and police departments. Info: 561-768–0460.
7) An Interfaith Religious Service of Remembrance, 7:30 p.m. Sunday, at Tradition of the Palm Beaches, 4920 Loring Drive, West Palm Beach. Speakers include U.S. Representatives Ted Deutch and Allen West; Temple Beth David Rabbi Michael Singer, whose father survived the World Trade Center; and Hannah Mae, who lost her 16-year-old brother on one of the airplanes. The Palm Beach Lakes High School choir performs. RSVP and info: 561-242-6662.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest Local News Stories