ANSWERS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
1. From your memory, and without peeking, how many stripes on the American flag are red?
2. Where can you find the original Star Spangled Banner today?
A. In Donald Trump's private collection.
B. At the Republican National Committee Headquarters.
C. At the Smithsonian Institution.
3. When did Francis Scott Key write the lyrics that became the National Anthem?
A. July 4, 1814.
B. The morning after the battle, September 14, 1814.
C. The night before the battle, September 13, 1814.
4. Why is the flag so much shorter today than when it was sewn?
A. The end of the flag was burned in the Battle of Baltimore.
B. Samples have been removed for conservation testing.
C. The family which preserved the Star Spangled Banner, gave small pieces away as souvenirs and gifts over
5. When did “The Star-Spangled Banner” officially become the United States’s national anthem?
6. How was the American flag used before the War of 1812?
A. There was no American flag before the War of 1812.
B. As a symbol of the British Empire.
C. To identify ships and forts.
7. True or False, the rules and codes of etiquette spelled out in the Flag Code can be legally enforced.
8. When are new stars added to the flag?
A. On the Fourth of July following the admission of new states to the Union.
B. On the First of January following the admission of new states to the Union.
C. Upon order of Congress.
9. Who has the authority to order American flags to be flown at half-staff?
A. Congress and the Supreme Court.
B. The president, state governors, mayor of Washington DC.
C. The Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Defense.
10. How many American flags are on the moon?
Answers: 1.B 2.C 3.B 4.C 5.A 6.C 7.B 8.A 9.B 10.C
Courtesy: Associatedcontent.com and Smithsonian Museum of American History
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
A suspicious package was found in the 6000 block of Glades Road at Town Center Mall in Boca Raton this afternoon, says Officer Sandra Boonenberg, spokesman for Boca Raton Police Department.