Edward Archbold died 'as a result of asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents,' said the Broward County Medical Examiner's Office. It said his airway was obstructed by bug body parts, and ruled his death was an accident.
Photographer: Courtesy of Archbold family
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A 32-year-old man who died after downing dozens of roaches and worms last month to win a python at a Florida reptile store choked to death, medical officials said Monday.
Edward Archbold died "as a result of asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents," said the Broward County Medical Examiner's Office. It said his airway was obstructed by bug body parts, and ruled his death was an accident.
Archbold was among 20 to 30 contestants participating in the "Midnight Madness" event at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach.
The participant who consumed the most insects and worms would take home an $850 python.
Archbold swallowed roach after roach, worm after worm. While the store didn't say exactly how many Archbold consumed, the owner told CNN affiliate WPLG that he was "the life of the party."
Soon after the contest was over, Archbold fell ill and began to vomit, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said.
A friend called for medical help. Then, Archbold himself dialed 911, the store said in a Facebook post.
Eventually, he fell to the ground outside the store, the sheriff's office said. An ambulance took him to North Broward Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
No other contestant fell ill, the sheriff's office said.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
Man rushed to hospital after being shot in the 800 block of H Street in Lake Worth, according to Capt. Albert Borroto, spokesman for Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.