PEMBROKE PINES, Fla. -- A South Florida high school senior is lucky to have her vision after a parasite grew on her contact lens and ate through her eye, according to Local 10 news .
According to Local10.com , Ashley Hyde, 18, contracted an acanthamoeba infection in her left eye after not changing her lenses regularly.
Hyde, a Pembroke Pines resident, initially left doctors stumped as to what was causing her blurred vision and inflammation.
"Every day, we see people come in with contact lens related to infections, complications, ulcers," Dr. Adam Clarin, an optometric physician told Local 10 . "There are all things that are potentially blinding."
According to the New York Daily News, doctors drilled into Hyde's eye and took scrapings from the eyeball. They soon discovered a microscopic parasite - found in water and soil - had latched onto and spread across the lens, the Daily News reports .
Click here to watch an interview video with Hyde and read the full story (http://bit.ly/170fCag)
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
A Wendy's employee who dropped a partially smoked blunt in a customer's cheeseburger has been fired and charged with marijuana possession.