RIVIERA BEACH, Fla. - A lawsuit was just filed against the city of Riviera Beach after a sweet sixteen shooting that left two teens dead and five injured last year at Newcomb Hall near the Riviera Beach marina.
Keyon Alderman, his mother, and their attorney filed the suit late Thursday.
The attorney claims the city did not have enough security at the sweet sixteen party.
"This could have been prevented. It was a preventable incident and it was predictable," said attorney Richard Ryles.
Alderman, who is now in college, says his life has not been the same since the shooting.
"It's really hard to explain how I feel about it. Sometimes I want to break down and cry. Sometimes I can't fall asleep," Alderman said.
Both Alderman and his attorney say they want the lawsuit to send a message to the city that they don't agree with the way leaders are handling violence.
Alderman's mother East Jackson says she is a protective parent and never thought her son would get shot. "This is the first time I let him out of the house and then this happens."
WPTV reached out to city officials Friday, but at the time of this posting they had not responded to the lawsuit.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest News Stories
Surveillance video was released of Seattle bus passengers overpowering an armed robber on Nov. 25.