SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) -- A convicted California child molester who was set to be released from prison was charged Friday in Florida with using a girl he bought in Vietnam as a sex slave.
The U.S. attorney's office in West Palm Beach, charged George England, 65, with transporting a minor across state lines for sexual purposes. He is also charged with having child pornography on his computer.
England had been set for release from prison Friday after serving just over three years for sexually assaulting three girls in 1976 and 1977 in Costa Mesa.
Prosecutors said he purchased a girl from her mother in Vietnam in 1972, pretended she was his adopted daughter and molested her for years starting when she was 5. They moved across Asia and then to California, where England jumped bail after his 1977 molest conviction and eventually ended up in Florida.
England, who is being held in Corcoran State Prison, was expected to have a hearing next week in federal court in Fresno that could lead to his extradition to Florida, said Jeffrey A. Neiman, assistant U.S. attorney in Florida.
Spokespersons for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation were unavailable Friday because of a mandatory work furlough day.
In the 1977 case, England was granted bail after being convicted of molesting the three girls. He was supposed to settle his affairs before going to prison. Instead, he fled and was a fugitive for nearly three decades before being arrested in Florida for passport fraud then returned to California in 2006.
He was sentenced that year to four consecutive terms of one year to life in prison. Because the crimes fell under the laws of the 1970s, England was eligible for parole after serving three years.
The district attorney's office said England and the girl from Vietnam lived in a motor home where England urged her to invite girls from school or the neighborhood.
While on bail, England coached and threatened the girl to deny any sexual conduct with him, authorities said.
Prosecutors said the girl became pregnant from the sexual assaults at least eight times, starting at age 13. That time she had a baby that was given up for adoption. Other pregnancies were aborted.
The alleged sexual assaults ended at age 16 after she threatened suicide, and at 21 she got married and moved away, according to the district attorney's office. Now 42, she came forward publicly in a video released by the district attorney.
Jackie Zudis said she didn't leave earlier because she didn't trust anyone.
According to authorities, she did not report being sexually abused by England until 2004 when she confided to a neighbor who is an FBI agent.
An FBI affidavit on the new charges contends the statute of limitations covering the alleged offenses was suspended because of England became a fugitive and subsequent amendments allow for prosecution through the lifetime of the child.
© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Copyright 2010 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest News Stories
Both sides quizzed the whittled-down group of prospective jurors about whether they had fired guns, made judgments based on how people dressed or had been neighborhood watch volunteers themselves.