The same hand sanitizer used to stop the spread of germs has sent several high school students to hospitals after they decided to get a buzz by drinking it.
Photographer: AP GraphicsBank
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Students need to head back to school with hundreds of dollars in supplies, and experts are issuing a warning about two of those products on some lists.
Hand sanitizer and computer duster are household products that may seem harmless, but substance abuse experts say they can be dangerous and even deadly.
Hand sanitizer is loaded with alcohol to keep your hands clean. Experts say teens are drinking it by the bottle since they can't buy alcohol on their own. Plus, it's cheap.
While experts don't want hand sanitizer banned, they say you need to be watchful.
Teens are also sniffing computer duster. It's intended to clean keyboards, but teens use it to get high.
Think it can't happen to your kid, experts say it can and does.
"A local girl in our recovery community died as an overdose as a result of huffing the computer duster," The Recovery Team Program Director,Terry Marvin said.
Police found the woman dead in a Walmart parking lot.
Experts say if your child has an excessive amount of duster or hand sanitizer in their backpack or room, you should be concerned.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
One person will win a three-year lease on a 2013 Honda Civic Lx Sedan automatic.
Click to see the latest mugshots, plus this week's wanted fugitives.
This feature packed upgrade brings you faster performance, easier navigation, and stunning improvements to photos, video and readability.
Latest Money Headlines
Los Angeles city attorney is suing Bank of America for mortgage discrimination it claims led to a wave of foreclosures