Oh, store-bought sugar-cookie dough, where have you been my whole life?
I thought it was cheating to use you, but I've toned back the snob dial enough to learn a few things about refrigerated cookie dough. It's easy to use, tastes pretty good and, most importantly, can be used as a base for many different cookies.
Here's what you need to know:
-- Let the dough stand for 10 to 15 minutes, then break it up and place it in a plastic bag or a bowl. It's easiest to mix add-ins into the dough by hand.
-- Do not add too much of any wet ingredient. About 1 to 2 tablespoons of liquid for an entire tube of dough is the limit, and only if you've added dry ingredients, too, such as cocoa powder or finely chopped nuts.
-- Adding chopped nuts stiffens the dough and makes it easier to form. If the dough gets too soft, add a tablespoon or two of flour and mix in well.
-- Cookies made from refrigerated dough can be frozen. Let cool completely and then store in an airtight container.
-- A standard tube will yield about 30 2-inch cookies. Directions here are for the entire tube but you can easily halve the dough and the ingredients.
The following 25 ideas will transform plain sugar-cookie dough, which isn't bad by itself, into cookies worthy of anyone.
Mix ingredients well with 1 tube of refrigerated sugar-cookie dough. Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into balls, and place them about 2 inches apart on cooking sheets lined with parchment paper. This will result in a flat, 2-inch cookie. Bake for about 12 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven. Cool on wire racks.
1. CRANBERRY ORANGE: Zest of one large orange, 1 teaspoon orange extract and 2/3 cup dried cranberries.
2. RUM SNAPS: 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons rum flavoring, 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts. Roll in confectioners' sugar after shaping and before baking.
3. CHOCOLATE-DIPPED PEANUT-BUTTER SANDWICH: Make 2-inch sugar cookies and let cool. For filling, mix 3/4 cup peanut butter with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Spread flat side of half the cookies with 1 rounded teaspoon; top with remaining cookies to form a sandwich. Refrigerate until firm. Meanwhile, melt 1cup semisweet chocolate chips with 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil. Dip cookies halfway into chocolate; let excess drain off. Place cookies on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets and refrigerate to set.
4. WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA MACAROONS: 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut, 2/3 cup white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts.
5. CHERRY-CHOCOLATE CHIP: 2/3 cup dried cherries and 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips.
6. GINGER DOODLES: 1 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. Roll balls in sugar mixed with cinnamon before baking.
7. MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP: 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract.
8. CASHEW STRAWBERRY THUMBPRINTS: Add 2/3 cup chopped cashews and form balls. Put on cookie sheet and make small indentation with pinky that has been dipped in flour. Fill with heaping 1/4 teaspoon of seedless jelly. (Do not overfill or jelly will spread too much as cookies bake.)
9. FROSTED MAPLE WALNUT: 2/3 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts and 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring. After cookies have cooled, ice with store-bought vanilla frosting mixed with maple syrup. Sprinkle with more chopped nuts.
10. CHIPS OFF THE BLOCK: 2/3 cup each peanut-butter chips and chocolate chips.
11. SAVORY ROSEMARY: 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves. Really, delicious.
12. LIME COOLERS: 2 tablespoons lime zest, 1 teaspoon lime extract and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts.
13. MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP: 2/3 cup chocolate chips and 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract.
14. CINNAMON RAISIN OATMEAL: 2/3 cup raisins, 1/3 cup instant oats and 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
15. TOFFEE-COFFEE CRISPS: 2/3 cup toffee bits and 1 to 2 teaspoons espresso powder.
16. SUGARED PECAN ORANGE: 2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans and zest of 1 orange. Roll in sugar before baking.
17. FUN-FETTI: Roll balls in multicolored sprinkles before baking.
18. PISTACHIO CHERRY: Cup chopped salted pistachios and 2/3 cup dried cherries.
19. PIGNOLI PUFFS: 1/2 cup chopped toasted pine nuts and 1 teaspoon almond extract.
20. LEMON BLUEBERRY: 2/3 cup dried blueberries and zest of 2 lemons.
21. HONEY-ROASTED PEANUT CRISPS: 2/3 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts.
22. LEMON THUMBPRINTS: Mix zest of 1 lemon with dough and roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet; make small indentation with pinky. Fill with heaping 1/4 teaspoon of lemon curd. (Do not overfill or lemon curd will spread too much as cookies bake.)
23. KISSING COOKIES: After dough is rolled into ball, push an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss candy into the center before baking.
24. M&MS AND PEANUT: 2/3 cup coarsely chopped peanuts and 2/3 cup plain or peanut-butter M&Ms.
25. CHAI SWEETS: 1 teaspoon cardamom, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper and 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Roll in sugar before baking.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest Lifestyle Headlines
Experts say there could be as many as 50 billion Internet devices worldwide by 2020.