We've got the munchies this week, so The Quiz is all about the nutritional value, or lack thereof, of chips. This analysis comes from the folks at www.healthcastle.com and www.vanderbilt.edu -- people you definitely don't want to be standing next to at a party.
1. There was a five-way tie for the most caloric chips, all weighing in at 160 calories for 1 ounce. Which of these is not among the five worst offenders?
a) Terra Krinkle Cut Sweet Potato Chips with sea salt
b) Miss Vicki's Sea Salt Potato Chips
c) Pringles (original)
2. How many more calories per ounce do Pringles (originals) contain than Eden Brown Rice Chips?
c) same amount
NEXT PAGE: What do Pringles contain that other chips don't?
3. Unlike other comparable potato chips, Pringles contain more ingredients, such as rice flour and wheat starch. One of these three food additives is in Pringles. Pick which.
b) xanthan gum
c) carnauba wax
4. Which chip contains the highest level of sodium per ounce?
a) Fritos Original Corn Chips
b) Ruffles Original Potato Chips
c) Genisoy Soy Crisps
NEXT PAGE: What side effects does Olestra cause?
5. Pringles Light chips weigh in at only 70 calories per ounce and 0 fat, primarily due to the use of the fat substitute Olestra. Which is not a possible side effect for consuming Olestra?
a) abdominal cramping
b) loose stools
c) gout flare-up
NEXT PAGE: The answers
ANSWERS: 1: c; 2: c (both have 150 calories); 3: a; 4: c (Genisoy, 270 mg sodium; Fritos, 170 mg; Ruffles, 160 mg); 5: c
(Reach Sam McManis at smcmanis(at)sacbee.com. For more stories, visit scrippsnews.com .)
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.