Born in Monterey California; but only lived there for one year. Raised in Daytona Beach, Florida – so Kelley is 99.9% Floridian!!
Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcasting, University of Florida (Go Gators!), Class of 1985.
WPTV West Palm Beach, FL
Kelley began her career at WPTV two months after receiving her Bachelor’s Degree in Broadcasting from the University of Florida in 1985. Starting out as a reporter; Kelley was promoted to anchor within six months.
Currently the co-anchor of the 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts on NewsChannel 5, Kelley is a five-time Emmy Award-winning journalist. For over twenty years, many of her features have focused on community-minded issues such as:
• Seeing Red; which gave viewers insight into Retinoblastoma, a deadly eye cancer that sometimes can be seen in photographs. Kelley’s in-depth reporting helped to raise awareness about this disease and helped save the lives of at least three children in Florida.
• Driveway Danger alerted viewers to the heartbreaking epidemic of back over deaths among children. Kelley has done several reports investigating the automotive devices available, which would help prevent such tragedies, and the legislation that will hopefully make these devices mandatory.
• Gile’s Legacy was the incredible tale of how two people with Cerebral Palsy – from opposite coasts – found each other and proved to be one another’s salvation.
• Michael’s Message told the story of a family who lost their son to drugs and how they turned their devastation into a program which educates students about the perils of drug usage.
• A Mother's Anguish- the heartbreaking story of a Treasure Coast mother who accidentally left her infant son in her vehicle all day. She was sleep-deprived and working full time and feels her brain tricked her into thinking she had dropped him off at daycare. The mother shared her story in hopes of sparing other families the pain and agony she will live with for the rest of her life.
Kelley’s features are always well received by the viewers and that’s reward enough, but many professional organizations have acknowledged her efforts as well. In addition to receiving 9 Emmy Award nominations and four Emmy Awards, Kelley has also received awards recognizing her excellence in journalism by the Society of Professional Journalists, the Associated Press and the Telly Awards.
Like many of us, Kelley juggles work – community involvement and most importantly, her family. For 25 years, Kelley has volunteered with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and has supported many other local charities. She lives in Martin County with her husband and two children . She enjoys meeting members of the community – so if you see Kelley out and about – be sure to say Hi!
The E.W. Scripps Company
Latest Local News Stories
Get the latest news from your neighborhood on our Southern Palm Beach County homepage.