Thank you for visiting the Florida Hardest-Hit Fund (HHF) website. This site contains all the information you will need to begin your application for assistance, with step-by-step instructions and prompts to help you. In addition, there are facts about the program, answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) and other foreclosure avoidance information that may be helpful to you.
The federal government has allocated funding to help pay the mortgages of qualified homeowners who are unemployed or underemployed through no fault of their own. Currently, this funding is only available to homeowners in Lee County, Florida, as a pilot program. We expect the program to become available statewide early in 2011. Please check this website frequently for updates.
Homeowners who qualify for financial assistance may receive up to 18 months of monthly mortgage payments and/or funds to pay past due mortgage payments to bring the mortgage current; these funds are paid directly to the loan servicer/lender.
You must meet all eligibility requirements to be considered for the program. Please review the following criteria prior to applying for HHF assistance.
An eligible homeowner:
· Must be a Florida resident;
· Must occupy property as primary residence (the property cannot be vacant, abandoned or rented);
· Must have suffered an approved hardship that makes the first mortgage unaffordable;
· Must have documented total income at or below 140% of the area median income (AMI), adjusted for household size (in Lee County, the total income for a household of four cannot be more than $86,240);
· May not have unencumbered assets of $5,000, or three times the current monthly mortgage payment (whichever is greater);
· Cannot have a bankruptcy that has not been discharged or dismissed; and
· Cannot have been convicted of a mortgage-related felony in the last 10 years.
The current mortgage:
· Must be serviced by a participating lender, who agrees to accept payments on behalf of the homeowner;
· Must not be more than 90 days past due at the time of application;
· Must have been originated on or before January 1, 2009; and
· Must have an existing principal balance of less than $400,000.
This list is not all inclusive; other information and documents will be required prior to determining eligibility. The web-based application process for Florida Hardest-Hit Fund financial assistance will open for Lee County homeowners ONLY at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, October 25. In the meantime, for a complete list of all requirements please click here.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Latest News Stories
Some of the runners taking part in the 10th Annual Palm Beaches Marathon and Run Fest overcame a lot just to get to the starting line, including 3-year-old Jackson Pierce, boy who suffers from a bone disorder.