Chopper 5 video: Warehouse of wood chips catches fire

SUBURBAN LAKE WORTH, Fla. - A warehouse full of wood chips ignited creating a massive blaze Thursday morning in suburban Lake Worth.

Around 6:19 a.m. fire crews were called to South Florida Shavings at 10191 Lantana Road, just west of 441.

A column of smoke from the fire could be seen for miles.

The fire started in an area where wood is made into shavings. According to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue spokesman Albert Borroto, the building housed acetylene and oxygen tanks and the fire caused them to explode.

According to Borroto, at one point the fire caused the roof and walls of the structure to collapse.

One nearby homeowner, who recorded video of the fire, said an explosion shook her house and she lost power.

No workers were inside at the time.

"It was pretty much a defensive attack. We've got both our aerial ladders up making sure we put the main structure out and protect the surroundings. There are still adjacent structures that are full of wood shavings also, Borroto said.

According to its website the company has been serving the equestrian community since 1988 and provides quality bedding for horses.

Multiple fire units remain on the scene and Florida Power and Light was called as well.

Firefighters are waiting for heavy-duty machinery to push through the rubble and make sure all hot spots are out.

Newbridge Prep preschool will be closed today due to the fire.

441 was closed for a time.

The American Red Cross said its volunteers are on the scene supplying hydration and nutrition to firefighters and first responders.

NewsChannel 5's Katie Johnson contributed to this report.

PHOTOS: What the gallery is about http://bit.ly/15IEgbA

Print this article Back to Top

Comments